A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Books by TJ


My recent trip to Plurabelle Books in the heart of Cambridge gave me an excellent opportunity to get my book photograph for this topic. To walk into such a magical second hand book emporium felt almost like being transported into another world. Interestingly almost every book on display is for sale, and many of the 70,000 plus books cost only a pound or two. My choice of main photo was fairly straight forward, as I love the way they have created a dated library room like atmosphere. I wanted to try and capture as much of it as I could in one shot. The big challenge was whether to go for a black and white edited finish, perhaps a soft focus or stick with something closer to what the eye saw at the time. Eventually I went with the latter tweaking the brigthness and contrast, and eventually adding a tungsten lighting effect during editing to "warm" up the picture. I was pleased with the end result and think it works really well and does get the photo pretty close to matching the daylight conditions I took the original photo in, or perhaps the conditions I imagine I took the photo in! :)

I had a few other ideas. I tried the classic pile of books which came out well, and maybe with a bit more thought and attention to detail could have been a real contender. In the shot looking down one of the many isles at Plurabelle I got nice depth of field with Shakespeare right at the forefront. The other idea was to use my mini studio to photograph single books. I really enjoyed trying this out and was very pleased with the results as it was not so easy capturing a single book standing up in a good light. I seriously thought about going with one of them. The book of old London in black and white photographs is fascinating and contains some wonderful pictures from an age gone by. I bought this book from Plurabelle for just £2 so it was nice to work with it. The book by The Charlatans was given to me by The Blonde so once again there was an added incentive in trying to photograph it for the topic. This book was the hardest to photograph as it had a soft cover so I could only stand it up by leaning on the back end of the studio lining so it lacked a little depth unfortunately.

1 comment:

  1. Great! Such wide angle and wide depth of field, i feel like i could step into it! (And i WANT to too, it looks like my idea of heaven!)

    ReplyDelete