A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Night by TJ


I found Night a fascinating topic as I really had to get to know my camera and is functionality to get the best shot possible. I remember trying to photograph the moon almost a year ago just after I had got the camera, and how poor my first attempt was. I made elementary mistakes such as holding the camera by hand and using the intelligent auto feature, so this time I planned the effort in much more detail. Using my trusty tripod meant that there would be no camera shake giving me a much better chance to get a shot in focus. Although my Lumix FZ45 doesn't have a automatic shutter cable option, I was able to use the timer to make sure the camera was perfectly still when the shot was taken. I attached my tele-conversion lens, which allowed me to get a good close up shot. I read up and then  experimented with shutter settings so as not to over or under expose the picture, and took the photo with an exposure setting of 1/60 second and an ISO setting of 100. The picture was taken 24 hours before the actual full moon. In editing I used a slight blue tint on the photo which added that final missing piece to the picture.

I had so many ideas for this topic and even bought a high powered hand torch to try out the idea in the top photo of photographing the woods at night. To do this I used a 15 second exposure setting giving me time to wave the torch around filling the foreground with light. The second photo was my attempt to capture car trail lights, which I achieved by setting the exposure time to 6 seconds.

1 comment:

  1. STUNNING!!!! I have never seen a better shot of the moon! I bow to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete