A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Gardens by The Brunette




I had a couple of ideas in mind for this one, but as soon as I laid on my sun bed on one of the fabulous sunny days we have had here in the UK recently and looked upwards, I knew what I was trying to capture. I must admit I have become a real convert to my “outside room” AKA my garden ever since having been on a “glamping” holiday in a yurt in Wales where we spent 99% of our time outside for a week. I just find the nature and birds and wildlife to bring me back to centre and peacefulness. So I am now spending as much time as possible outdoors in the garden at home too. Lying there reading a book and looking up occasionally to see the sun streaming through the beautiful texture of a tree full of green leaves against a blue sky, just makes me happy! What can I say? Photographically I set as low a film speed as I could get away with for quality, with a small aperture and just enough speed to freeze the leaves so they didn’t  move in the wind. I knew I would want to crop in, so it had to be a high quality shot to start with, and I also used a telephoto lens, to get me as close as I could in camera before cropping in editing. Only a tiny tweak to contrast in editing, I find with naturally vibrant colours you have to be very careful to retain the natural look and not play too much in editing else it looks contrived, and I just wanted it to be a simple joyful reflection of a summers day in an English garden – hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. Stunning photo! Not only have you frozen the leaf perfectly, but the aperture is brilliant giving the photo a great 3 dimensional feel to it. Capturing the sunlight is the perfect finishing touch. Great effort after the break :)

    ReplyDelete