A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Breaking the Rule of Thirds by TJ


I loved this topic and I got an idea for this topic pretty much straight away, but of course I have ended up going with a completely different idea. I was thinking of going with a photo that would concentrate on the theme, rather than a picture of greater substance composition. However whilst sitting in the deckchairs at Henley Royal Regatta recently my creative juices kicked into action. The idea of doing a foot shot had been in the back of my mind and when I caught sight of these fabulous leather shoes I rather sneakily took a picture. The idea was to get the feet central in the shot and to as much as possible completely disregard all the usual rules of thirds grid lines. I used some quite dynamic editing to really get the best out of the photo. I used a black and white effect with tweaks to the brightness and contrast, and then used a cinematic effect to really capture the dramatic feel to the shot. This is a photo that hopefully will make the viewer want to know more about the story of the girl in the shoes...

In my other photos the original shoes shot shows how the editing turned a topically correct photo into something hopefully a whole lot more interesting. The wooden electricity poles was my original idea as I got the symmetrical line of poles central to the shot and in line with each other using the front two poles to frame the photo. My other shot I really enjoyed taking with my two four legged friends. Getting them to sit and not run off was an achievement in itself with all the rural scents around them! I got a great location with a walk through the oil rapeseed fields and the tree playing an important role central in the background.



1 comment:

  1. I really like this shot! Not only for the composition but also I think it shows JUST how far you have come as a photographer since we started Two Views, I think a year ago you wouldn't have even noticed the shot let alone have taken it - you really have the "eye" now!! :)

    ReplyDelete