A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Datchet by The Blonde


My favourite shot was this abstract one of leaves in the water in the river Thames, there was something surreal and a little spooky about them floating completely preserved just under the surface of the water. I faffed about with the cropping a few times, initially leaving some river bank and  tree branches in, but then decided I wanted it to be deliberately hard to see at first what the subject was. A little touch up in the edit to saturate the colour a little and I was happy with it. I am gradually learning not to always go with the "obvious" shot. I learned at photographic college that 98.7%* of photographs are shot in landscape format at eye level. And that even a small change in your height, position or viewpoint when composing can sometimes make the shot work on a whole other level. So don't be afraid to do what I did here: lay down full length on the riverbank tow path dangling my expensive camera two inches above the water, either you drown your equipment, and start drawing a picture for the insurance claim form, OR you get a shot no one else has :) **

Here a few more favourites I picked out from the shoot:



*Clearly I made that statistic up for effect, I mean how on earth would you measure it? 
**Ok so I stretched the truth just a little on that one too, I mean I had my new jeans on, I wasn't about to put them in contact with the "bird embellished" nature of the tow path, but you get my point, I did change my viewpoint, to change the shot entirely *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment